I love love love Christmas time. Maybe it is because I am a big kid and adore being able to shop for the little ones and then help them try out their new toys. I love sitting back and getting to read new books, color pictures, and the decorating is always a blast! Of course being the wonderful person that I am, I thought it would be nice of me to share some of the great companies and products out there that I find for the Holiday season. Some will be products I am sent to review, some will be products we come across and I think would make a great addition. Not only will you find gift ideas, but you will find Holiday recipes, decorating ideas, craft projects, and any other fun holiday stuff I am let in on! If you know of a great product, craft, recipe, or decorating tip please let me know by emailing me at fivemonkiesreview@gmail.com (please include Gift Guide in the subject line).

Friday, October 8, 2010

Handmade Christmas Soap

I came across this really easy really great craft for Christmas at Milk and Cuddles. The actual post was for Halloween, so we did both. I had never made soap before and thought it would super difficult, but it was so easy I think we may do more as gifts for neighbors and grandparents. Next time I might add some scent to it.

All you need for the soap is glycerin (bought mine at Michael's for $9.99, and can make 16 soaps with one block), Christmasy items to put in the soap, a muffin tin, and some clear wrap.

Melt the glycerin in the muffin tins. The site I came across that had the directions used silicone muffin pans and said microwave for 35 seconds until glycerin is melted. I didn't have any silicone muffin pans, so I used some regular ones from the Dollar Tree. I melted it in the oven at 200. It took about 10 minutes to fully melt the soap down.


Add the items to the soap, pushing it down with a popsicle stick or something like that so that it is covered completely in the soap.

Let stand for 20 minuted and then remove and wrap.

I had no trouble getting the soaps out of the muffin tins, although I am sure they would come out prettier with silicone pans. We added little bells for the Christmas look. If we make them for gifts this year, I will purchase some decorative stickers for the backs to cover the wrap and keep it secure.

The cost for making 16 soaps was $14.

No comments:

Post a Comment